There's currently a proposal to start a miniature gaming only stack exchange. A lot of the topics that could potentially be discussed there are on topic here, but there are some that wouldn't be. Rules, mechanics, and strategy would all fit in really well here.
This discussion makes it seam that hobby related questions may or may not be off topic for the site.
But, you can't really have a Q&A devoted to miniature gaming without allowing basic hobby related questions. For instance:
- How do I fix casting defects with green stuff?
- What's the historically accurate color to paint my British Late War Sherman tanks?
- Whats's a good material to use to base my models for a winter effect?
Obviously you would need to constrain it to the realm of miniature gaming. These kind of questions would probably be out of bounds, and would be better served by a more art and hobby focused SE site
- How can I get more use out my brushes?
- How do you sculpt a complete model with green stuff?
- What's better acrylic or oil based paints?
This site also doesn't have tags for many of the popular miniature games like Flames of War, Infinity, or Dystopian Wars.
I'm afraid that we won't be able to get an independent miniature gaming site going any time soon. While in the mean time those people waiting for a site, could be over here asking and answering questions. Miniature gaming has a very large online presence, and drawing in those number would help get this site out of beta and well established.
Would it be a good idea to allow the full range of mini-gaming topics on this site and abandon the independent proposal?